I obsessively download music. I was raised on music…good music. Both of my parents constantly had music playing in the background, whether on 8 tracks, cassette tapes or vinyl. My dad would drive us on our weekend trips to Michigan with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, ZZ Top and Harry Chapin blasting form the speakers. My mom spun vinyl tapestries of Led Zepplin, the Grateful Dead, Judy Collins, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. As she got older, my mom fell in love with bands like Garbage and played reggae constantly in her car. My youth was filled with a soundtrack of music, which is probably why I’m so constantly in tune with having music in my life today.
I’ve always been open to all kinds of music, and even though my favorites tend to be more folksy, I have gained some newer favorites like Lana Del Rey and electronic dance music. In my upcoming book, The Before Now and After Then, the two main characters exchange mixed tapes and it was this tradition while I was in high school that allowed me to truly understand the connection between people and music. I still remember taking this punk rock friend home from school one day and she gave me a tape with Siouxie and the Banshees and Public Image Limited, two prominent punk bands from the 80’s on it. This music liberated me and still today, when I need to get rid of some adult angst, I blast it from my speakers.
Anyone who knows me knows my favorite thing to do is get in my car and drive around with a fountain diet Dr. Pepper and smoke cigarettes while shuffling through my iPod. It is my safe place. I thought it might be fun to do just that for you tonight with this post. I’ve made a playlist for you below so you can enjoy the songs, but the list of 20 is exactly what came up on my iPod as I shuffled through it.
1. Bob Dylan – Tomorrow is a Long Time
2. Ernie Maresca – Shout! Shout!(Knock Yourself Out)
3. Stevie Nicks – Landslide (Live ft. Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)
4. Heart – These Dreams (Live)
5. The Cure – Just Like Heaven
6. The Smiths – Girl Afraid
7. Judy Collins – The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
8. The Mountain Goats – Up the Wolves
9. Alan Jackson – Remember When
10. Dave Matthews Band – #41(Live at Luther College)
11. Michel Telo – Ai Se Eu Te Pego
12. Afrojack – Ten Feet Tall(David Guetta Remix)
13. The Rollling Stones – Far Away Eyes
14. Lady Gaga – Dance in the Dark(Remix)
15. The Smiths – The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
16. Lana Del Rey – This is What Makes Us Girls
17. Kaskade – Last Chance
18. The Psychedelic Furs – The Ghost in You
19. Mary J. Blige – Roses
20. Candice Glover – Love Song
Oh…and if I had to pick the theme song for my life, well it would definitely be Paul Simon‘s Diamond’s on the Soles of Her Shoes!
Add my book to your Goodreads to-read shelf and go there to find out more and visit my author page! Thanks!