Let’s not make this blogging challenge too difficult today! Below you will find my 10 favorite foods and what I would eat for my last meal on death row, which is fitting being that my next book, Death Row Prom Queen, is actually about a teenage girl on death row. I love food, so this was no easy task, but I have nailed it down to 10 perfect foods. Not necessarily perfect for you, but perfect to eat!
First of all, if I could request absolutely anything for my last meal on death row, never mind the reason why I was there to begin, I would choose the following:(some you will probably see repeated in my favorite foods section!)
An entire box of Kraft macaroni and cheese, a peanut butter sandwich, a bag of Lays sour cream and onion chips, two hot dogs in buns with only mustard and relish, potato salad, chicken fingers and lots of chocolate milk to drink. Oh…and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby Ice Cream and a package of Golden Oreos.
My 5 Favorite Foods
1. I absolutely love chicken salad sandwiches. The best one I have ever had(seen above) is found at Cafe Patachou in Indianapolis. It is perfect in every way, right down to the chips and pickle spear. Best served with a Diet Coke over ice. I am, however, looking for a really great, healthy recipe for chicken salad, so if anyone has one, please pass it this way!
2. Macaroni and cheese. It must be thick and not watery. For years, there was a misconception in my family that I was the one who loved our Grandma’s milky mac & cheese, when it was in fact my cousin Caroline. My favorite is the old fashioned Kraft from the box, sprinkled full of pepper. In Indianapolis, my favorite places for this hearty meal are Usual Suspects and Northside Social.
3. For years I was a vegetarian, but the one thing that finally broke me was my love for chicken fingers. Actually, I lost my vegetarian commitment at a McDonald’s in the mountains of Tennessee to a double cheeseburger, but that’s not the point. The entire time I was a vegetarian, I could only think about eating chicken fingers. Servers go crazy when I ask if they’re flat or round, but I just can’t eat a flat chicken finger that is pre-processed. The Cheesecake Factory has the biggest portion of these delicious babies, which I only eat with honey mustard.
4. I probably eat a hearty salad at least every other day. While my husband makes a mean greek salad, my personal favorite is a thick Caesar salad and even though I don’t like anything fishy, I’ll eat an authentic Caesar dressing if it’s done well enough. My favorite salads are the Boston House Salad at The Cheesecake Factory and just about any house salad at a bar or restaurant. Did I mention I love bar food?
5. Of course my list wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t include my absolute love for Pizza! In our home, we probably eat pizza at least once a week, which might explain part of my complete obesity! My favorite is sausage and pineapple and I don’t even care if it’s warm. Sometimes I prefer cold pizza. Last March, we went to Miami for Ultra Music Festival and the only thing open when we came back to the hotel was this little pizza shop down the street. We ordered huge slices and two cokes and ate them on the bed while watching reruns of Modern Family. It was one of the best moments of our trip!
My list could go on and on. I love candy, fast food breakfast, chips and salsa, pizza rolls, donuts and on and on and on. Most of the time I struggle between eating healthy and eating horribly. I’ve done every diet out there just to find most of them didn’t work because a true lifestyle change,with diet and exercise, is needed to stay in shape. The truth is that I love food…bad food!
When I am on a diet, I feel like I’m on death row. In reality, I need a mental adjustment when it comes to food, because the prison I live in I’ve built myself. That being said, could someone order me a pizza?
Add my book to your Goodreads to-read shelf and go there to find out more and visit my author page! Thanks!